Sketch, Paint and Make in Italy with Alex Snellgrove
WHEN: 17-29th September, 2018
WHERE: Florence, Tuscany and Mercatello sul Metauro, Le Marche - Italy
COST: From AUD Early Bird $4150.00+€300 Book Now
We have over the years made some extraordinary artist friends in Italy, so join us on our small group for a fun filled urban sketching, art, food and wine adventure. You will not only get to explore your own creative self with sketching and art with Alex but you will be warmly welcomed into the hearts and homes of some of the best talent in the country.
17th – 22nd September
- Staying in very comfortable accommodation in a Monastery in a central location in Florence. Foresteria Valdese di Firenze
- Create your own art book
- Workshops and sketching in and around the exquisite city of Florence
- Eat like a local and experience some of the best street food available
- Workshops and visit artists in their studios and art communities
- Explore art exhibitions, galleries and architecture
- Take a cooking workshop
22nd - 29th September
- Stay in the historic Palazzo Donati in Mercatello sul Metauro with our host Luisa Donati
- Get to know the locals and explore this cute medieval village at your doorstep
- Visit local artists in and around the village including ceramic artists in Urbania
- Explore the Unesco protected town of Urbino and the extraordinary Palazzo Ducale
- Visit artists in their studios and art communities
- Eat delicious local food. This area is a paradise of porcini mushrooms, tarfufi (nero and bianco), strozzapreti pasta (strangle the priest!), cheeses and local wines
- Experience an outstanding banquet dinner cooked exclusively for us in the palazzo by a fraternity of nine men from the village who are all passionate about food, wine, music and good laughter
"Alex is a wonderful and inspirational teacher and mentor who can work really well with students at all levels…She is a passionate and well renowned artist who is more than happy to share her artistic experience and vision in a warm and engaging way. She is the best art teacher I have ever had!"- Lynden
She has been a prizewinning exhibiting artist since 2007, has held 6 solo shows, and been a part of numerous group shows, at NG Gallery, Charles Hewitt, Art2Muse, Hat Hill Gallery, Gallery East and Gallery 371.
‘Drawing, travelling, teaching and meeting new people are my favourite activities. Throw in picturesque locations, good coffee, galleries, music and alfresco dining and I’m in paradise!
Travel sketching is an immersive and fun experience. It’s a great way to engage with your surroundings, creating memories far more intense and meaningful than simply taking snapshots.
Experience has shown me that most people feel more comfortable when drawing in a group – it’s definitely more relaxing and enjoyable.’
Alex’s other great enthusiasms in life are singing in a choir, people watching and vintage shopping.
"I attended a workshop with Alex Snellgrove as part of an official Urban Sketching event in Sydney in April this year.
I found Alex to be very welcoming to all participants and she spent time speaking to and encouraging each person during the workshop.
Alex was very professional and well prepared with handouts that summarized her workshop. Alex explained the lesson very clearly -emphasizing the steps we were to follow. This was fantastic as her techniques were new to participants.
I would love to do another workshop with Alex and would encourage others to do so too !"
A little extra note on food in Le Marche
This region is renowned for some of Italy's most delicious food. Think of food gathered from the wild; mushrooms, game, nuts, field herbs and – the area’s greatest culinary treasure – truffles are an important feature in the Marche. And of course, pecorino cheeses, olive oil and wines.
Find out why Jamie Oliver, Heston Blumenthal and Gennaro Contaldo all LOVE this region, these people and indeed this village.
In Florence we have chosen to stay in a monastery, Foresteria Valdese di Firenze, it is in an ideal central location to our planned activities. It’s very comfortable and rooms are available in twin, single or double rooms. Most rooms have ensuite bathrooms.
In Mercatello sul Metauro we will be spending our days sketching in Palazzo Donati or outside in the piazza, wandering and wondering in the little alleyways, sipping apertivo in the evening in the Piazza with the locals. We will also take a couple of tours to surrounding villages where will visit artists and that includes a visit to the stunning UNESCO protected Palazzo Ducale in Urbino. See some pictures below and if you have questions, please just ask us.
Invite your friends to come and meet our friends in Italy!
There are single, double and twin rooms available.
If you wish to have a room on your own we suggest you secure that with a single supplement.
Single supplement $600 (AUD)
And this interview below with Luisa Donati about the Donati family history and the Palazzo Donati in Mercatello sul Metauro.
5 nights in Florence
7 nights in Palazzo Donati, Mercatello sul Metuaro
All workshops with Alex Snellgrove and local artists (artists to TBC soon)
A cooking workshop in Florence
3 lunches (or dinners)
1 banquet dinner with the Academia del Padlot
Click on the button below, fill in the form and make a 20% deposit to secure your place.
There are options to pay off this event in instalments. Please talk to us to discuss options.